2-½ cups boiling water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 medium onion
1 stalk celery
2 garlic cloves
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
1 15-oz can stewed tomatoes
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-½ teaspoons ground coriander
1-½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup bulgur (cracked) wheat
½ cup raisins
To Make It:
Prepare the ingredients:
• Pour boiling water over the vegetable bouillon cube. Set aside.
• Coarsely chop the onion. Set aside.
• Wash the celery stalk and slice it into thin slices. Set aside.
• Mince the garlic. Set aside.
• Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into approximately ½” chunks. Set aside.
• Peel the carrot and slice it into thin (approximately ¼”) slices. Set aside.
• Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Set aside.
• Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid. Dice the tomatoes. Set aside.
• Wash the cilantro leaves. Dry with paper towels. Set aside.
Put the olive oil into a large stew pot or Dutch Oven (make sure it has a lid) over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté until the onion and celery are almost tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 more minute. Add the potatoes, carrot, tomatoes, tomato liquid, bulgur wheat and vegetable broth. Stir to mix. Lower the heat to simmer, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the potatoes and the carrot are fork-tender.
Stir in the garbanzo beans, raisins and cilantro and heat through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm with a side salad and your favorite bread, crackers or biscuits.
|Serving Size||1 Cup|
|Number of Servings||8|
|Amount Per Serving|